Price Gouging in Harris County
The Harris County Attorney’s Office is fighting price gouging during the COVID-19 pandemic.
It is illegal for a company to sell or lease fuel, food, medicine, lodging, building materials, construction tools, or other necessities at an exorbitant or excessive price during a state of emergency.
What can you do?
- Take photographs and hold on to your receipts.
- Submit a complaint per the procedure below.
Make sure you submit a detailed description of your complaint — the more details you provide the better for us in reviewing the complaint. Important details include:
- Name and full address of the business against whom you are filing a complaint;
- Date that you purchased or attempted to purchase an item from the business;
- Brand and type of item you purchased or attempted to purchase;
- Price of the item you purchased or attempted to purchase;
- The name(s) of individual(s) you spoke with at the business; and
- Receipt or picture of item and price if available;
Once we receive your complaint, you will receive a confirmation email. The Harris County Attorney’s Office will review your complaint and, if appropriate, take civil action to protect the public interest.
* * *
Be advised, our office does not pursue criminal charges or represent/provide legal advice to individuals. Complaints filed with our office are open records—any member of the public may file an opens records request and view your complaint.